Medley of Vegetables
This recipe is not found in Nine Servings of Vegetables however since some of you have asked me to have a recipe that would combine the 5 to 9 preferred cooked vegetables, I am adding it to this website.
Yield: about 6 to 7 cups (1.5 - 1.75 L)
✔ 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil, or butter
✔ 1 medium red onion, finely sliced (1 cup/250 mL)
✔ 1 medium leek, trimmed, washed and thinly
sliced lengthwise (1 cup / 250 mL)
✔2 large or 4 small garlic cloves, peeled and finely
✔1 (2-inch / 5 cm) gingerroot, grated (2 tbsps. / 30
mL), or 1½ tablespoons (22.5mL) ginger paste
✔1 teaspoon (5 mL) curry powder (page 180), or to
✔ 1 small red cabbage, thinly sliced (2 cups / 500
✔ 2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally (2½ cups /
✔ ½ pound (250 g) French green beans (haricots
verts), trimmed and sliced lengthwise
(2 cups /500 mL)
✔2 to 3 medium daikon radishes, washed, peeled
and cut lengthwise into thin strips or cut
✔ ½ to ¾ cups (125–185 mL) chicken stock (page
231) or spring water
✔1 to 2 tablespoons (15 -30 mL) gluten-free soy
✔1 to 2 teaspoon (5-10 mL) of sesame oil
✔2 teaspoon (10 mL) black sesame seeds
✔1 to 2 teaspoons (5-10 mL) sea salt, or more to
1. Preheat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the olive or butter and the onions and leeks and sauté for 3 minutes, or until the onions and leeks are translucent.
2. Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder and stir for about 2 minutes, until the spices are fragrant.
3. Add the red cabbage, carrots, green beans, daikon radishes and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or heatproof silicone spatula, for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the stock or water and bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
5. Add soy-sauce, stirring until the vegetables are coated.
6. Add sesame oil and stir.
7. Serve on warm plates and sprinkle sesame seeds and add sea salt to taste.
8. You can eat this dish with blue corn tortillas chips or with lamb or chicken.
9. Leftovers can be refrigerated for the next day.
You can find more vegetable recipes by ordering Nine Servings of Vegetables